Sunday, October 16, 2016

Layers of Synchronicity: The Star

I am participating in an Instagram "challenge" in October called CHMM Fall Challenge. Day sixteen asked the question: "What needs activation in my life?"

I drew the Star from both the Ring Cycle Tarot and the Pagan Otherworlds tarot.

This immediately spoke to me: Believe in yourself. Have faith in yourself. Let your inner light shine. These are very relevant messages to me at this very moment.

But there is more.

Yesterday I was in a local metaphysical shop and just as I was deciding to leave (empty handed) I noticed a deck in a long box with its title edge facing the wall. I thought I'd see what it was, though it was a bit difficult to remove as it was lodged there quite snugly. It was the Ring Cycle Tarot, a name that barely registered in my memory. As I read the text I learned that it was based on the Wagner production, The Ring of Nibelung, and was illustrated with the work of Arthur Rackham. Not only do I love the Norse saga of the Volsungs (which is the basis of the Ring of Nibelung) but I love Arthur Rackham's work. This combination of elements hit all the right spots for me, and so I took it home.
The Star: Pagan Otherworlds Tarot and the Ring Cycle Tarot
I first decided to pull today's "challenge" card from the Ring Cycle deck, and I drew the Star. I then shuffled the Pagan Otherworlds deck to hear its opinion, and the Star made itself known once again.

When I placed them side by side I was struck by the beautiful similarity in images:

In the Ring Cycle, Freyja stands near the tree of the golden apples of youth (Idunn's charge). Her right arm is bent, her left extended. She peers out over her left shoulder. In the Pagan Otherworlds, the Star figure crouches over the water near a sheltering tree. She, too, extends her left arm and looks back over her left shoulder. And in this depiction there is a bird perched on a small tree limb. The bird immediately brought to my mind the ability of Sigurd (the hero of the Volsungs) to comprehend the speech of the birds following his accidental taste of Fafnir the dragon's heart blood. With his new "wisdom" he heard the birds warn of Regin's treachery, which ultimately saved his life. And their words also informed him of a figure that would become an essential "signpost" in his story: Brunhild the Valkyrie, surrounded by a ring of fire.

So, in the context of the Star card, the bird speaks to attuning to "otherworldly" guidance as well as listening to inner guidance, which can indeed seem almost like a whole other language until we pay attention and quiet ourselves to its gentle voice.

6 comments:

  1. I love it when you share these synchronistic events of your life. Listening to the inner voice is often hard but I think you do it quite well:)
    Enjoy your new deck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen <3 So far I am enjoying the Ring Cycle - it's always nice to hear a new "voice." I have to say, I have found myself unable to stop being called to the Pagan Otherworlds deck - it is divine!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I would think the Ring Cycle Tarot would be so resonant for you. What a great find! This is a lovely post. I have always felt a connection to Freyja and it's wonderful to see her depicted as this favorite Major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite lovely! I'm finding that Wagner's work was "adapted" from several sources including the Saga of the Volsungs, so there are some differences in the storyline, but it is really a great deck to explore, and it's always a pleasure to see Freyja and Odin and Loki in the cards! :) I can definitely understand your connection with Freyja <3

      Delete
  3. It's interesting how important the tree is in both these versions, whereas often it is far more of a background thing. We can be vulnerable and generous and seek otherworldly joys best when we are grounded and supported, perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt the same way - I like your interpretation of its significance :)

      Delete